After I unwittingly upgraded from openSUSE 10.2 to openSUSE 10.3 last week, the Linux kernel upgraded from 184.108.40.206-34 to 220.127.116.11-18. I run VMWare Workstation on this desktop machine, and each time the kernel is updated VMWare must be reconfigured and the kernel modules recompiled.
I was running VMWare Workstation 6.0.0-45731, but when I tried to run
vmware-config.pl I got the following error messages:
Would you like to skip networking setup and keep your old settings as they are? (yes/no) [yes] Extracting the sources of the vmnet module. Building the vmnet module. Using 2.6.x kernel build system. make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only' make -C /lib/modules/18.104.22.168-18-default/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-22.214.171.124-18-obj/x86_64/default' make -C ../../../linux-126.96.36.199-18 O=../linux-188.8.131.52-18-obj/x86_64/default modules CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/driver.o CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/hub.o CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/userif.o /tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/userif.c: In function ‘VNetCopyDatagramToUser’: /tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/userif.c:630: error: ‘const struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘h’ /tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/userif.c:630: error: ‘const struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘nh’ /tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/userif.c:636: error: ‘const struct sk_buff’ has no member named ‘h’ make: *** [/tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only/userif.o] Error 1 make: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only] Error 2 make: *** [modules] Error 2 make: *** [modules] Error 2 make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-184.108.40.206-18-obj/x86_64/default' make: *** [vmnet.ko] Error 2 make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmnet-only' Unable to build the vmnet module. For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html". Execution aborted.
I was a bit mystified about what to do, and doing some searches on Google didn’t really turn up anything useful. A quick look at the VMWare website showed there was an updated version of VMWare Workstation available (6.0.1-55017), so I downloaded that and installed it.
I was then able to run
vmware-config.pl with no issues. I guess there were some issues with the newer kernel that the older version of VMWare Workstation wasn’t able to deal with, but which had been addressed in the newer version of Workstation.